For What It's Not Worth
Ed Cooley’s Friars can save their season in the first two weeks of March (Photo: PC Athletics)
By BUNKY McCOY
• Have we seen the last of Tiger Woods on the golf course after last week’s devastating car crash? History tells us he’s authored comeback stories before, hence it’s unwise to bet against him but history also tells us the body breaks down faster than your chipping game.
• This Celtics’ season is resembling a prisoner getting set to walk his last mile.
• The Red Sox claim they’re different, yet I keep seeing preseason forecasts that they’re scheduled to finish near or at the bottom in the AL East.
• Why does everyone keep finding fault with what Ted Cruz did? In my book, he’s no different than any college student who heads to Cancun to escape the cold this time of year. It’s called Spring Break.
• It’s amazing how the NBA has become a game of runs.
• Good news as it seems a large chunk of the Faithful are running away from this year’s Celtics.
• The question is are you ready to see your favorite teams in person?
• How many Gucci Row fans from the Dunk are bummed out they can’t jump on Amtrak next week and head down to NYC for the Big East Tournament?
• LINE OF THE WEEK comes from PC head coach Ed Cooley after the Friars beat Xavier: “We ain’t dead yet.”
• Tom Brady and Gisele recently celebrated 12 years of marriage. One can only wonder how long Mrs. Brady will continue to allow TB12 to take the field on Sundays.
• Speaking of anniversaries, one that I won’t be celebrating is the year that’s passed since the arrival of COVID-19 in Rhode Island.
• Former president Donald Trump made his first public appearance since leaving the White House on Sunday and was back to his old self, saying there’s no division within the Republican Party. Might want to check the polls on that one.
• Speaking of The Donald, there’s no truth to the rumor that the reason why he got behind a microphone is because no one wanted to golf with him.
• Word came down last week that the state’s Division of Motor Vehicles has put the brakes on vanity license plate applications. Guess I can forget putting in my request on behalf of Bill Belichick: “NEEDQB.”
• Bad Timing Award goes to Bryant basketball which is looking at another COVID pause with playoff time at hand. Is there such a thing as a mini-pause?
• Let me know the next time the Ivy League plays a game.
• Ditto when Jackie Bradley Jr. signs with an MLB team.
• There’s no truth to the rumor that the ozone layer is in better shape than college basketball, which is having a down year across the board.
• But hey, at least we can look forward to the NCAA Tournament – fingers crossed.
• With his own radio show and website, coupled with appearances on Ch. 12 and co-hosting `This Week in the Big East,’ it might be time for Kevin McNamara to replace the Independent Man.
• I thought I had seen it all, then comes along Jodie Foster who thanked Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers during her Golden Globe speech on Sunday.
• This Friar season could be singing a different tune if they take care of business this week against St. John’s and Villanova and roll into the Big East Tournament ready to make some noise.
• There are two types of people: those who know what “Tik Tok” is and those who don’t.
• This column would have been longer, but Ted Cruz was kind enough to send me a plane ticket to Cancun.